For those snowbirds who will soon head south for the winter, pay attention to what your are eating. Same for those who plan to visit.
Sarasota County health officials have issued a warning against eating raw oysters and exposing open wounds to coastal and inland waters after one person died this week and another was sickened by a flesh-eating bacteria.
Florida officials say 12 cases have been reported statewide so far this year, including three deaths. There were 41 cases in 2013. The two Sarasota people who contracted vibrio vulnificus were middle-aged and had medically compromising conditions, which may have left them more vulnerable.